Fun Benefits of Getting a Massage!
Massage isn’t just a luxurious treat to pamper yourself; there are many other healthful reasons to get a massage on a regular basis, including the big one – stress. Since stress can translate in different ways for different people, from aches and pains, to muscle tension, to both physical and emotional exhaustion, massage can actually help your body and mind de-stress, providing relief as well as, if not better than, medication for some of these ailments. Here are some interesting things that medical researchers have pointed out amongst the benefits of massages.
Here are five positive things a massage can do for you and your body:
1. Decrease chronic pain: Massage releases endorphins (the body’s natural painkiller) into the brain and nervous system to reduce pain and discomfort without the use of medication. It also activates nerve receptor signals to temporarily block chronic pain signals from reaching the brain. For lower-back pain, try shiatsu, an Asian form of massage using trigger points to ease tension and release endorphins.
2. Strengthen your immune system: Massage increases circulation in your lymphatic system, which plays a major role in warding off infection and healing injuries. Lets prevent illness!
3. Improve nerve function: Massage relaxes contracted muscles, which can press or pinch your nerves, causing tingling, numbness, or pain. For athletes or those who just love a good workout, try a Swedish massage to lessen the muscle pain that comes with exercise. Each type of massage can be geared towards a specific situation, please make sure to consult with your masseus in order to see what types of massages may benefit you the most. Massages are a fantastic way to be stress free.
4. Sleep better: Since massage relaxes tense muscles and calms the nervous system, causing your body’s rhythm to slow down, blood pressure is lowered, your heart rate settles and your breathing becomes deeper and more rhythmic, setting you up for a great night’s sleep. Sleeping is crucial to anyone’s health, as well as sleep is known to help weightloss!
5. Improve your skin: With so many factors taking a toll on our skin, including the sun, pollution, poor diet, and just the natural aging process, massage therapy can increase the uptake of vital skin-repairing nutrients and speed the removal of toxins. Improved circulation helps moisturize your skin, improving skin texture, while relieving dryness and itching. Massages are great accompanied with vitamins, and particular lotions/oils for optimal wellness.