Contact Lens – See the World in a Different Way
Are you tired of wearing those rose-tinted spectacles on your nose all the time? Then you should start wearing the contact lens to see the world in a different way. Contact lenses are thin, curved plastic disks that are designed to cover the cornea, the clear front covering of the eyes. These delicate objects cling to the film of tears over the cornea because of the surface tensions. So them out as a great alternative to those monotonous eyeglasses.
Who wears contact lenses?
They are medical devices that need to be properly fitted by an eye care practitioner. So you should visit an optician before you want to wear a them. Lenses are wonderful items that are used to correct eye conditions like:
- Myopia [nearsightedness]
- Astigmatism [distorted vision]
- Hyperopia [farsightedness]
- Presbyopia [need for bifocals]
Contacts are also used in therapeutic cases where an uneven cornea blurs vision, such as scarring or keratoconus.
Types of Lenses
Many types of contacts are available to suit particular occasions. Whether you want to wear contacts for fashionable purposes or for medical purposes, you can wear any of the following types:
- Gas-permeable lenses – are lenses made of silicone and fluoropolymers that allow oxygen in the air to pass through the lens.
- Soft contact lenses – are plastic materials that incorporate water. The water makes the lenses soft and flexible, which allows the oxygen to reach the cornea.
- Extended wear contact lenses – last for continuous 2-4 weeks.
- Daily disposable lenses – carry a very low amount of infection risk
- Toric contact lenses – available in soft and rigid materials, they correct moderate astigmatism.
- PMMA lenses – one of the old lenses that are very durable and allow oxygen from air to directly reach the cornea.
You should remove your lenses at bedtime due to risk of infection.
Benefits of contact lenses
For those who lead an active style, contact lenses promise complete convenience and durability.
Following are the benefits of using them:
- Provides close to natural vision with no side effects
- Provides excellent peripheral vision for driving, and sports
- Lenses provide complete ease, comfort and convenience to eyes
- Lenses change the eye color to baby blues, heavenly hazels, gorgeous green and other different colors.
- Lenses make your eye power stable and prevent it further from increasing.
- Lenses are perfect for those who want to avoid laser surgery and its risks.
How to care for your lenses?
You should take proper care of your lenses to enjoy their best uses.
Following are the ways you can care for your lenses:
- Lenses must be cleaned, rinsed and disinfected to remove dust and dirt.
- Lenses should never be dissolved in homemade saline solutions.
- Do not sterilize your lenses; just throw them away when they become useless.
- Do not take your lenses in and out repeatedly for the whole day.
In case of any inflammations or irritations you should always consult your optician for best results.